`Navy to be responsible for overall maritime security`
New Delhi: The Indian Navy will solely be
responsible for overall security of the coastal zones, the
government said on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Home Affairs M Ramachandran said
the Director General of Coast Guard will also assume the role
of Commander Coastal Command.
"The government of India has designated Indian Navy as
the authority responsible for overall maritime security which
includes coastal security and offshore security," the Minister
said in a written reply in the Lok Sabha.
"The Director General Coast Guard has been designated as
Commander Coastal Command responsible for overall coordination
between Central and state agencies in all matters relating to
coastal security. These decisions are being implemented by the
Ministry of Defence," he said.
While replying to a question on instances of infiltration
through the coastal areas, Ramachandran said, "As per the
information available, there has been no case reported or
encountered during the last three years, except a case
regarding infiltration by sea route on November 26 last year
leading to Mumbai attacks. The matter is under investigation
Joint coastal patrolling is also being carried out along
the coasts of Gujarat and Maharashtra under operation SWAN by
Coast Guard, Navy and other agencies, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages
- PE inflows in real estate up 33% at Rs 5,193 crore in January-June