Navy to buy 80 interception boats from Lankan firm
New Delhi: As part of the exercise to
strengthen coastal security post 26/11, the Navy has decided
to procure 80 interception boats at a cost of Rs 300 crore
from a Sri Lanka-based ship manufacturer.
The boats are planned to be used by the newly formed
Sagar Prahari Bal (SPB) and other wings of the Navy, naval
The contract process for 80 Fast Interception Craft
(FIC) from Sri Lanka-based SOLAS Marine is in its final stages
and the deal is expected to be finalised soon, they said.
The Navy had last year placed an order worth around Rs
60 crore for 15 such boats with a French shipyard Chantier
The first three boats of the lot were inducted four
days back for operational service at Mumbai, they said.
Delivery of the first 15 FICs is expected to be
completed by the end of 2012 and the next 80 would be inducted
in coming 36 months, they said.
The boats, with speeds between 45-50 miles per hour,
would be mainly deployed for coastal security duties and would
be used for engaging any suspicious vessel or activity in
these areas, they said.
With four to five crew members and capability to
patrol far off areas, the boats would also be deployed to
provide protection to vital assets and installations along the
Post 26/11 attacks, the Navy was given the
responsibility to look after coastal security along with the
Coast Guard and the local authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'