Navy to buy 80 interception boats from Lankan firm
New Delhi: As part of the exercise to
strengthen coastal security post 26/11, the Navy has decided
to procure 80 interception boats at a cost of Rs 300 crore
from a Sri Lanka-based ship manufacturer.
The boats are planned to be used by the newly formed
Sagar Prahari Bal (SPB) and other wings of the Navy, naval
The contract process for 80 Fast Interception Craft
(FIC) from Sri Lanka-based SOLAS Marine is in its final stages
and the deal is expected to be finalised soon, they said.
The Navy had last year placed an order worth around Rs
60 crore for 15 such boats with a French shipyard Chantier
The first three boats of the lot were inducted four
days back for operational service at Mumbai, they said.
Delivery of the first 15 FICs is expected to be
completed by the end of 2012 and the next 80 would be inducted
in coming 36 months, they said.
The boats, with speeds between 45-50 miles per hour,
would be mainly deployed for coastal security duties and would
be used for engaging any suspicious vessel or activity in
these areas, they said.
With four to five crew members and capability to
patrol far off areas, the boats would also be deployed to
provide protection to vital assets and installations along the
Post 26/11 attacks, the Navy was given the
responsibility to look after coastal security along with the
Coast Guard and the local authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof