Navy to commission UAV squadron at Porbandar
New Delhi: Aiming at enhancing coastal surveillance capabilities, the Navy is going to commission a squadron of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) at Porbandar in Gujarat on January 17.
The squadron will comprise Israeli-made Searcher and
Heron UAVs and would help in enhancing our surveillance
capabilities off the coast of Gujarat, Navy officials said
The Indian Navy had commissioned its first UAV
reconnaissance squadron at its base in Kochi in January, 2006
and is one of the few maritime forces to be using such
The Navy is also planning to acquire high-altitude long
endurance (HALE) UAVs.
In an RFI (Request For Information) issued recently, the
Navy has specified that it wants a platform with at least 25
hours mission endurance, an all up weight of no more than 15
tons, service ceiling of 40,000 feet and cruise speed of 100
The Navy presently uses a small mix of Israeli Heron and
Searcher Mk2 UAVs, and is making efforts to acquire shipborne
Post 26/11, India has taken several measures to
strengthen coastal security after terrorists sailed close to
the Gujarat coast in a dhow and reached Mumbai to launch
multiple attacks on various targets.
To plug gaps in the radar coverage of its over 7,500 km
coastline, the Government has also decided to deploy coastal
surveillance radars atop 90 light houses along both the
eastern and western sea boards.
Under the plan, the light houses would also be fitted
with cameras capable of operating during both day and night to
keep an eye on the movement of vessels in coastal areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad