Navy to induct 24 long-range surveillance aircraft
New Delhi: The Indian Navy will induct more
than 24 maritime reconnaissance aircraft in the long run to
provide round-the-clock surveillance over country`s maritime
We have already placed orders for 12 P-8I long-range
maritime reconnaissance aircraft from the US but in the
long run, we would like to have a fleet of 24 such aircraft in
our inventory, Navy officials said here.
The Navy signed a USD 2.1 billion deal with the US in
January 2009 to procure eight LRMR aircraft and is processing
a case for procuring four additional aircraft of the same
They said the aircraft to be ordered in the future will
be procured through a fresh tender process and may not be from
the same manufacturer which has supplied the P-8Is.
India`s coastline exceeds 7,500 km, besides which there
are Andaman and Nicobar and Lakshadweep island territories and
economic interests off the east and west coasts.
Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma had recently said that
the first P-8I aircraft from the US was expected to join the
force by early 2013 after its first successful test-flight in
the US in September this year.
The Navy is also planning to procure six Medium range
maritime reconnaissance aircraft for which it has issued a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu