Navy to induct over 90 fighting platforms
New Delhi: Aiming to establish itself as a blue water force in real terms, Indian Navy will be inducting more than 90 fighting platforms in another decade, including aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, which is likely to be commissioned later this year.
"Under the Maritime Perspective Plan (MPP), around 50 of these vessels are in various stages of construction at different shipyards in the country, while the contract for 45 more ships are being processed", Navy`s Chief of Material, Vice Admiral G Mahadeven told reporters here.
The 45 ships are either in the Request for Proposal (RFI) stage or discussions are going on for their prices with the vendors, he added.
Out of the 50 ships which are in various stages of construction, four are being built by foreign shipyards. It includes INS Vikramaditya which is being constructed at Shevmash shipyard in Russia.
Meanwhile, officials said that INS Vikramaditya is in the last stage of its refitment and will be ready for sea-trials in another one month`s time.
Among the three Teg-class frigates which are being constructed, one will be commissioned into the Navy on April 27. Navy is also procuring around 80 Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) under the MPP.
For construction of four Landing Platform Decks (LPDs) worth Rs 16,000 crore RFP has been issued to five Indian shipyards including a private one.
To increase its strategic depth, a number of Counter Mine Ship, Floating Dry Dock, Submarine Attack Crafts, Deep Submersible Vessels are also in the process of negotiations with the vendors and shipyards.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Hope intellectuals from India, China take part in Mind and Life conference: Dalai Lama
- Despite carnage, Syria`s Aleppo not in fighting `freeze`
- AP Board SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro