Navy to induct over 90 fighting platforms
New Delhi: Aiming to establish itself as a blue water force in real terms, Indian Navy will be inducting more than 90 fighting platforms in another decade, including aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, which is likely to be commissioned later this year.
"Under the Maritime Perspective Plan (MPP), around 50 of these vessels are in various stages of construction at different shipyards in the country, while the contract for 45 more ships are being processed", Navy`s Chief of Material, Vice Admiral G Mahadeven told reporters here.
The 45 ships are either in the Request for Proposal (RFI) stage or discussions are going on for their prices with the vendors, he added.
Out of the 50 ships which are in various stages of construction, four are being built by foreign shipyards. It includes INS Vikramaditya which is being constructed at Shevmash shipyard in Russia.
Meanwhile, officials said that INS Vikramaditya is in the last stage of its refitment and will be ready for sea-trials in another one month`s time.
Among the three Teg-class frigates which are being constructed, one will be commissioned into the Navy on April 27. Navy is also procuring around 80 Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) under the MPP.
For construction of four Landing Platform Decks (LPDs) worth Rs 16,000 crore RFP has been issued to five Indian shipyards including a private one.
To increase its strategic depth, a number of Counter Mine Ship, Floating Dry Dock, Submarine Attack Crafts, Deep Submersible Vessels are also in the process of negotiations with the vendors and shipyards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door