Navy to induct over 90 fighting platforms
New Delhi: Aiming to establish itself as a blue water force in real terms, Indian Navy will be inducting more than 90 fighting platforms in another decade, including aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya, which is likely to be commissioned later this year.
"Under the Maritime Perspective Plan (MPP), around 50 of these vessels are in various stages of construction at different shipyards in the country, while the contract for 45 more ships are being processed", Navy`s Chief of Material, Vice Admiral G Mahadeven told reporters here.
The 45 ships are either in the Request for Proposal (RFI) stage or discussions are going on for their prices with the vendors, he added.
Out of the 50 ships which are in various stages of construction, four are being built by foreign shipyards. It includes INS Vikramaditya which is being constructed at Shevmash shipyard in Russia.
Meanwhile, officials said that INS Vikramaditya is in the last stage of its refitment and will be ready for sea-trials in another one month`s time.
Among the three Teg-class frigates which are being constructed, one will be commissioned into the Navy on April 27. Navy is also procuring around 80 Fast Interceptor Craft (FIC) under the MPP.
For construction of four Landing Platform Decks (LPDs) worth Rs 16,000 crore RFP has been issued to five Indian shipyards including a private one.
To increase its strategic depth, a number of Counter Mine Ship, Floating Dry Dock, Submarine Attack Crafts, Deep Submersible Vessels are also in the process of negotiations with the vendors and shipyards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state