Navy War Room Leak case: CBI raids key suspect
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday raided the premises of alleged arms dealer Abhishek Verma, who is a key suspect in the Navy War Room Leak case.
According to reports, the raids are being conducted at ten places belonging to the US-based businessman in Delhi and Gurgaon.
Ahead of conducting fresh raids, the central probe agency also registered an FIR against Verma.
The FIR was filed after Verma’s former close aide Edmond Allen told the investigators that the US-based businessman was involved in forgery and money laundering.
Allen also submitted documents pertaining to the Navy War Room Leak case to the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
Based on Allen’s submission, the CBI alleges that Verma took money to get a Swiss company out of government`s blacklist.
The CBI raids come a day after a British court deferred the hearing in the extradition case of Naval War Room leak accused Ravi Shankaran till October.
Shankaran, kin of former Naval chief Arun Prakash, was arrested in London in May last year on the basis of an Interpol Red Corner notice secured against him by the CBI which has pressed for his early extradition to India.
A retired Naval Commander, Shankaran was accused of smuggling sensitive classified information out of the Navy War Room and passing them to arms dealers.
The CBI had dispatched a two-member team to London to assist British law officers in the extradition trial. It also furnished a 50-page reply to objections raised by the defence on emails submitted as evidence in the court.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured