Navy War Room Leak case: CBI raids key suspect
New Delhi: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Thursday raided the premises of alleged arms dealer Abhishek Verma, who is a key suspect in the Navy War Room Leak case.
According to reports, the raids are being conducted at ten places belonging to the US-based businessman in Delhi and Gurgaon.
Ahead of conducting fresh raids, the central probe agency also registered an FIR against Verma.
The FIR was filed after Verma’s former close aide Edmond Allen told the investigators that the US-based businessman was involved in forgery and money laundering.
Allen also submitted documents pertaining to the Navy War Room Leak case to the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate (ED).
Based on Allen’s submission, the CBI alleges that Verma took money to get a Swiss company out of government`s blacklist.
The CBI raids come a day after a British court deferred the hearing in the extradition case of Naval War Room leak accused Ravi Shankaran till October.
Shankaran, kin of former Naval chief Arun Prakash, was arrested in London in May last year on the basis of an Interpol Red Corner notice secured against him by the CBI which has pressed for his early extradition to India.
A retired Naval Commander, Shankaran was accused of smuggling sensitive classified information out of the Navy War Room and passing them to arms dealers.
The CBI had dispatched a two-member team to London to assist British law officers in the extradition trial. It also furnished a 50-page reply to objections raised by the defence on emails submitted as evidence in the court.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing