Navy wife swapping case: Officer`s spouse arrested for forgery
New Delhi: The woman, whose complaint of wife swapping rocked the naval base in Kochi in April, was on Saturday arrested by Delhi police for allegedly committing a forgery in procuring credit card in the name of her estranged husband.
Police arrested Sujata Sahoo from her residence in South Delhi under section 420 (cheating), 468 and 471 (forgery) and Emblem and Name (Prevention of Improper Use) Act, Delhi Police spokesman said.
Kamini Jaiswal, counsel for Sahoo in the wife swapping case, has denied the charges and said it was an attempt to malign her client and accused the Delhi police of torturing Sahoo.
Jaiswal said that her client was dragged from her house and beaten. "As a result of this, she has received injuries and the police has not been ensuring a proper medical check up," Jaiswal alleged.
She said that her client had been informing her about the repeated threats received by her and warnings dire consequences if she did not withdraw her complaint in which she has named senior naval officials.
According to Delhi Police, Sahoo, 25 years, was arrested from Jia Sarai after State Bank of India`s IIT branch complained that she was trying to procure a credit card in the name of her estranged husband, Ravi Kant, using his forged Pan card and employment letter of the Indian Navy.
The bank, according to the Delhi Police, has videographed everything pertaining to the alleged procurement of the credit card.
Defence Minister A K Antony had promised to take strong action if anybody was found guilty in the alleged Kochi wife swapping case.
She had also filed a case of dowry harassment under Section 489A against her husband and the case has been transferred to Kochi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical