Zee Media Bureau
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha Police on Tuesday arrested two suspected Maoists in connection with the May 25 deadly attack on a Congress convoy in Chhattisgarh.
According to a news channel, the two suspects, who were arrested from Malkangiri, provided logistical support to the Naxals for the audacious attack.
"Last year we had recovered at least seven improvised explosive devices in the district and the arrested duo was wanted in that case. They joined the Maoist organisation five to six years ago. They have confessed to their involvement in several Red offensives in Odisha and Chhattisgarh, including the Dharba Ghati attack," said SP (Malkangiri) Akhileswar Singh.
The SP said, "Ora (Madhi) and Kasa (Madhi)have revealed that around 200 ultras, including 35 from Malkangiri, divided into four groups, participated in the Dharba Ghati massacre. The group from Malkangiri, comprising 20-armed ultras and 15 cadres, reached Tirkipalli in Chhattisgarh on May 19 where they with other Maoists were given three-day training by some top Maoist leaders prior to the attack on May 25."
"After the attack, the Left-wing extremists were divided into four groups and fled the spot. The Maoists from Odisha returned to Malkangiri," Singh added.
As many as 29 people were killed and 35 wounded in the Maoist attack that had wiped out the top leadership of the state Congress.
In a daring attack, around 250 Naxals in civilian clothes had struck a convoy of Congress leaders during the party`s Parivartan Rally in Chhattisgarh`s Jagdalpur.