Naxal attack: PM, Sonia visit Shukla in hospital
Gurgaon: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on Sunday visited senior party leader V C Shukla, who was injured in a Maoist attack in Chhattisgarh, at a hospital in Gurgaon.
Soon after coming back from Chhattisgarh, the two leaders visited Shukla, who was injured in the attack by Naxals on a Congress party convoy in Bastar.
The two leaders inquired about Shukla`s health from the hospital staff and his family members.
The condition of senior Congress leader was critical, according to doctors treating him at the Medanta hospital on outskirts of Delhi where he was admitted after being airlifted from Raipur on Sunday morning.
The 84-year-old former union minister yesterday underwent an operation in Jagdalpur hospital for removal of three bullets he had received in the attack.
BJP leader L K Advani, Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and All India Anti-Terrorist Front (AIATF) leader M S Bitta also visited the hospital.
"I went to the ICU and all parameters indicate that there is stability (in Shukla`s condition). I felt relieved after seeing him," Advani told reporters outside the hospital.
"Every political party and leader must criticise the gruesome incident," he said, adding that he has taken up the issue of Naxal violence with the Prime Minister.
"This is one of the most audicious attacks that have taken place in recent times. And I spoke to the Prime Minister also and requested him that concerted efforts should be made to combat and overcome this menace," Advani said.
Heavily-armed Maoists ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in Chhattisgarh`s Bastar district yesterday, killing 27 people including senior Congress leader Mahendra Karma, and injuring Shukla and 31 others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi