Naxal attacks: A timeline
New Delhi: Following is the chronology of
major recent Naxal attacks in the country since 2008:
June 29, 2008: Maoists attack a boat on Balimela
reservoir in Orissa carrying four anti-Naxalite police
officials and 60 Greyhound commandos, killing 38 troops.
July 16, 2008: 21 policemen killed when a police van is
blown up in a landmine blast in Malkangiri district of Orissa.
April 13, 2009: 10 paramilitary troops killed in eastern
Orissa when Maoists attack a bauxite mine in Koraput district.
April 22, 2009: Maoists hijack a train with at least 300
people on board in Jharkhand and force it to Latehar district
May 22, 2009: Maoists kill 16 policemen in the jungles of
Gadchiroli district in Maharashtra.
June 10, 2009: Nine policemen, including CRPF troops and
officers, ambushed by Maoists during a routine patrol in
Saranda jungles in Jharkhand.
June 13, 2009: Naxals launch two landmine and bomb
attacks in a small town close to Bokaro, killing 10 policemen
and injuring several others.
June 16, 2009: Maoists kill 11 police officers in a
landmine attack followed by armed assault. In a separate
attack, four policemen were killed and two others seriously
injured when Maoists ambush them at Beherakhand in Palamau
June 23, 2009: A group of motorcycle-borne armed Naxal
rebels open fire on Lakhisarai district court premises in
Bihar and free four of their comrades including the self-style
Zonal Commander of Ranchi.
July 18, 2009: Naxalites kill a villager in Bastar and in
a separate incident torch a vehicle engaged in road
construction work in Bijapur district of Chhattisgarh.
July 27, 2009: Six persons killed when Naxals trigger a
landmine blast at Dantewada district in Chhattisgarh.
July 31, 2009: A special police officer and another
person killed by Naxals in Bijapur district.
Sep 4, 2009: Naxals kill four villagers in a forest in
Aaded village in Chhattisgarh`s Bijapur district.
Sep 26, 2009: Naxals kill BJP MP from Balaghat Baliram
Kashyap`s sons at Pairaguda village in Jagdalpur
Sep 30, 2009: Naxalites set ablaze Gram Panchayat offices
at Korchi and Belgaon in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra.
Oct 8, 2009: 17 policemen killed when Maoists ambushed
them at Laheri police station in Gadchiroli district of
Feb 15, 2010: 24 personnel of the Eastern Frontier Rifles
(EFR) killed as Maoists attack their camp in Silda in West
Midnapore district of West Bengal.
April 4, 2010: Maoists trigger a landmine blast killing
11 security personnel of the elite anti-naxal force Special
Operations Group (SOG) in Koraput district of Orrisa.
April 6, 2010: 75 CRPF personnel and a Chhattisgarh
police official killed in a naxal attack in Dantewada
May 8, 2010: Eight CRPF jawans were killed when Naxals
blow up a bullet-proof vehicle in Bijapur district of
June 29, 2010: At least 15 CRPF personnel killed in a
Naxal ambush in Naraynpur district of Chhattisgarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read