Naxal menace: Centre tells states to be ready with infrastructure
New Delhi: The Centre has directed Naxal-hit
states to get ready with infrastructure and logistics for an
all out battle against the Maoists which may take years.
During the just-concluded conference of Directors General
and Inspectors General of police, Home Minister P Chidambaram
and Home Secretary G K Pillai told the top police brass of the
20 Naxal-hit states to identify places where infrastructure
and logistics could be provided before launching a
full-fledged operation against Maoists.
"They have to identify the places where police stations
could be set up, temporary pre-fabricated barracks could be
installed, toilets could be constructed and essential
commodities could be stored," a Home Ministry official said.
The Centre does not want to take any chance while going in
for the offensive against the Maoists "which could even take
The Home Ministry wants that once an area is made free of
Maoists occupation, development initiatives should be carried
out immediately so that the Naxals cannot gain its hold there
"After the operation is over in a particular area, PWD
people should go for constructing roads, opening schools and
making health centres operational. Else all efforts would go
in vain," the official said.
Home Minister Chidambaram has said Naxalism has spread
to 20 states across the country with over 2,000 police station
areas in 223 districts partially or substantially affected.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has described Left wing
extremism as the gravest internal security threat and called
for a nuanced strategy to tackle the problem.
Yesterday, Home Secretary Pillai told the first meeting of
Parliament`s Standing Committee on Home Affairs that Left Wing
extremists are calling the shots in 40,000 sq kilometre area
in Naxal affected states where the government has no control.
He has said the problem of Maoists was growing rapidly and
needed urgent action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?