Naxal trigger landmine blast in Chattisgarh, 10 cops killed
Raipur: Ten securitymen were killed in a powerful landmine blast triggered by Maoists around midnight Thursday in Chhattisgarh`s restive Bastar region, police said.
The blast took place in a forested area near Katekalyan in Dantewada district, over 400 km south of Raipur.
"It was a massive blast, Maoists mainly the women insurgents blew up an anti-landmine vehicle around midnight when policemen were moving in two vehicles on a search operation based on specific intelligence input," Ram Niwas, additional director general of Police (Maoist operation), told reporters.
He said that the anti-landmine vehicle was tossed up in the air by the blast before it landed in pieces.
The deceased included seven special police officers (SPOs) and three state police personnel. Four policemen sustained multiple injuries and were battling for life at a government hospital at Jagdalpur town, headquarters of Bastar region.
It was the second deadly attack in the state by Maoists Thursday after they gunned down five state policemen in Narayanpur district`s Bastar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery