Naxal trigger landmine blast in Chattisgarh, 10 cops killed
Raipur: Ten securitymen were killed in a powerful landmine blast triggered by Maoists around midnight Thursday in Chhattisgarh`s restive Bastar region, police said.
The blast took place in a forested area near Katekalyan in Dantewada district, over 400 km south of Raipur.
"It was a massive blast, Maoists mainly the women insurgents blew up an anti-landmine vehicle around midnight when policemen were moving in two vehicles on a search operation based on specific intelligence input," Ram Niwas, additional director general of Police (Maoist operation), told reporters.
He said that the anti-landmine vehicle was tossed up in the air by the blast before it landed in pieces.
The deceased included seven special police officers (SPOs) and three state police personnel. Four policemen sustained multiple injuries and were battling for life at a government hospital at Jagdalpur town, headquarters of Bastar region.
It was the second deadly attack in the state by Maoists Thursday after they gunned down five state policemen in Narayanpur district`s Bastar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened