Naxal trigger landmine blast in Chattisgarh, 10 cops killed
Raipur: Ten securitymen were killed in a powerful landmine blast triggered by Maoists around midnight Thursday in Chhattisgarh`s restive Bastar region, police said.
The blast took place in a forested area near Katekalyan in Dantewada district, over 400 km south of Raipur.
"It was a massive blast, Maoists mainly the women insurgents blew up an anti-landmine vehicle around midnight when policemen were moving in two vehicles on a search operation based on specific intelligence input," Ram Niwas, additional director general of Police (Maoist operation), told reporters.
He said that the anti-landmine vehicle was tossed up in the air by the blast before it landed in pieces.
The deceased included seven special police officers (SPOs) and three state police personnel. Four policemen sustained multiple injuries and were battling for life at a government hospital at Jagdalpur town, headquarters of Bastar region.
It was the second deadly attack in the state by Maoists Thursday after they gunned down five state policemen in Narayanpur district`s Bastar region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside
- Aprilia SR 150 to be launched at Rs 65,000; book via PayTM, get 100% cashback on booking amount
- Shah Rukh Khan just apologised to 'Dil Se' co-star Preity Zinta! Here's why
- Naming of new RBI chief shows Modi government regains composure after Rajan shock
- JNU PhD student drugged, raped by AISA activist in hostel room? Know details of complaint