‘Naxal violence killed 170 people in last 6 months’
New Delhi: A total of 170 people have been killed in incidents of Naxal violence in the last six months, the government said on Tuesday.
While 127 civilians were killed between the period August last year and January 2013, 43 security force personnel also were killed in the same period which saw 533 such incidents in various parts of the country.
While 30 Maoists were killed, 871 were arrested, Minister of State for Home RPN Singh told Lok Sabha in a written reply.
"The government is implemeting the Special Infrastrucutre Scheme (SIS) in Left Wing Extremism (LWE)-affected states with a view to cater to critical security infrastructure gaps.
"It is proposed to continue the scheme in 12th plan with an added objective of funding upgradation of special forces in some of the LWE-affected states in order to effectively combat the LWE," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda
- Sheena Bora on Indrani Mukerjea in her diary: `I hate my mother...she is a witch`