‘Naxal violence killed 170 people in last 6 months’
New Delhi: A total of 170 people have been killed in incidents of Naxal violence in the last six months, the government said on Tuesday.
While 127 civilians were killed between the period August last year and January 2013, 43 security force personnel also were killed in the same period which saw 533 such incidents in various parts of the country.
While 30 Maoists were killed, 871 were arrested, Minister of State for Home RPN Singh told Lok Sabha in a written reply.
"The government is implemeting the Special Infrastrucutre Scheme (SIS) in Left Wing Extremism (LWE)-affected states with a view to cater to critical security infrastructure gaps.
"It is proposed to continue the scheme in 12th plan with an added objective of funding upgradation of special forces in some of the LWE-affected states in order to effectively combat the LWE," Singh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch