Naxal violence: Over 2,600 died in past 3 years
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 15:35
  
New Delhi: Over 2,600 civilians and security force personnel were killed between 2008 and 2010 in several incidents of Naxal violence across the country.

Besides, there had been more than 900 attempts by Naxalites to destroy telephone exchanges, railway properties, power plant, mining and school buildings during the same period.

According to the information given by Minister of State for Home Affairs Gurudas Kamat in Lok Sabha, out of the total of 2,632 casualties, including 1,799 civilians and 833 security personnel, a highest of 1,003 was in 2010, followed by 908 in 2009 and 721 in 2008.

6,061 incidents of violence by left wing extremists were reported during the period, the minister said.

Incidentally, there has an been increase in the number of incidents of economic targets by Naxalites. Out of the 909 such attempts, a highest of 325 were on forest road, culvert, 158 on telephone exchanges, 135 on school buildings, 127 on railways properties, 61 on Panchayat Bhawans, 33 to disturb electric supply by targeting poles and 18 on mining related projects among others in the last three years.

Kamat said that the government has banned three left wing extremist organisation -- Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist) - people's war, Maoist Communist Centre (MCC), Communist Party of India (Maoist) and all its formations and front organisations -- under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

PTI


First Published: Tuesday, March 08, 2011, 15:35


comments powered by Disqus