Naxal violence: Over 2,600 died in past 3 years
New Delhi: Over 2,600 civilians and security
force personnel were killed between 2008 and 2010 in several
incidents of Naxal violence across the country.
Besides, there had been more than 900 attempts by
Naxalites to destroy telephone exchanges, railway properties,
power plant, mining and school buildings during the same
According to the information given by Minister of State
for Home Affairs Gurudas Kamat in Lok Sabha, out of the total
of 2,632 casualties, including 1,799 civilians and 833
security personnel, a highest of 1,003 was in 2010, followed
by 908 in 2009 and 721 in 2008.
6,061 incidents of violence by left wing extremists were
reported during the period, the minister said.
Incidentally, there has an been increase in the number of
incidents of economic targets by Naxalites. Out of the 909
such attempts, a highest of 325 were on forest road, culvert,
158 on telephone exchanges, 135 on school buildings, 127 on
railways properties, 61 on Panchayat Bhawans, 33 to disturb
electric supply by targeting poles and 18 on mining related
projects among others in the last three years.
Kamat said that the government has banned three left wing
extremist organisation -- Communist Party of India
(Marxist-Leninist) - people`s war, Maoist Communist Centre
(MCC), Communist Party of India (Maoist) and all its
formations and front organisations -- under the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read