Naxalism is a wake up call for democracy: Pillai
New Delhi: Naxalism is a wake up call for the country, former Union home secretary G K Pillai said here, while blaming poor governance for the rise in the problem.
"Maoism or Naxalism is a wake up call for India`s democracy. I think today the major political parties in India have still not realised the magnitude of the problem.
"They have not woken up to the fact that this is a very serious problem which has to be tackled not just by security, not just by development, but also by very serious political management of the situation," Pillai said.
He was speaking at a round table discussion on `State`s Response to Hostage Situations` organised by the India Foundation yesterday.
Blaming the rise of Naxalism on poor governance, he said that the ratio of government services to the population is extremely poor.
"There are many basic developmental issues which we have left unresolved for long and it forces people to look for the other ways and gives rise to Naxalism. We have serious issues of governance," he said.
"It is a wake up call for democracy, it is a wake up call for the state governments and the central government. There is shortage of teachers, doctors, nurses; you have to get that act together and if you do not, you get into trouble."
Echoing his sentiments, former chief secretary, government of Madhya Pradesh, Nirmala Buch, who played a crucial role in securing the release of abducted Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon, said there is a problem of grievance redressal mechanism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list