`Naxals killed 21 in kangaroo courts this year`
New Delhi: As the CPI (Maoist) continues its violent activities, the Centre on Friday said the Naxals have set up many kangaroo courts which brutally executed 21 persons
this year itself after holding them guilty.
Home Minister P Chidambaram said the CPI (Maoist) holds courts called `Jan Adalats`, tries the `accused`, sentences many of them to death and executes them in full public view in order to strike terror in the hearts of the villagers.
"The number of `Jan Adalats` has risen to 48 in the current year up to August 31 -- up from 38 in the corresponding period last year. The number of persons executed
has risen to 21 from 11 last year," he said.
The Home Minister said the Maoists continued their violent activities across Left Wing Extremist-affected states and their main targets were policemen and alleged `police
"Every one who swears by the rule of law must condemn these kangaroo courts and brutal executions," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'