‘Naxals trying to expand activities in urban areas’
New Delhi: Naxals have been trying to expand their activities in urban areas and their plans include sabotage and selective assassinations in cities, the Lok Sabha was told on Tuesday.
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh said the CPI(Maoist) has been making efforts to expand its activities in urban areas through overground front organisations and members of such organisations masquerade as `activists` espousing causes which mainly supplement the activities of underground cadres in direct and indirect ways.
Singh said the front organisations provide safe hideouts to armed cadres and also facilitate procurement of supplies to Maoist war machinery.
"They also initiate legal action on various issues to slow down the enforcement regime. They are also adept at dissemination of propaganda and disinformation to demonize the state and security forces," he said.
The Minister said a strategy of CPI(Maoist) for urban areas is documented in a paper titled `Urban Perspective` and according to it the group would mobilise working classes in urban areas, build a united front of classes similarly placed to the working classes and military tactics involving sabotage actions and select assassinations by `action teams`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Dada responds to Ravi Shastri's 'Sourav Ganguly absent' remark - Here's what he said
- French woman facing extradition to Chile granted bail by Delhi court
- Hot, humid Sunday morning in Delhi
- Radical changes! Two-division Tests and One-Day League on ICC agenda
- Pampore encounter: Mufti, Nirmal Singh attend wreath laying ceremony