Naxals using women, kids as shields : Govt
New Delhi: Naxalites have adopted a new tactic of using women and children as human-shields during exchange of fire with security forces, the government on Wednesday said.
Among other new strategies, the rebels are "using terrorist tactics like kidnappings to get their cadres released and are attempting to link-up with North-East insurgent outfits for supply of arms and ammunition", Minister of State for Home Affairs Jitendra Singh told Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
Naxals are increasingly using area weapons like mortars, Molotov cocktails through country-made launchers and better communication equipments smuggled from abroad, he said.
They are deploying small `action-teams` for select assassinations and jan-militia members for IED-based warfare, raising funds by encouraging opium/ganja cultivation, resorting to brutality like beheading while killing police informers and `class-enemies`, the minister said.
Replying to another question, he said, "A total number of 142 security personnel were martyred in 2011 and 85 security personnel have been martyred in 2012 (up to July)...The majority of civilians killed by the Maoists are tribals."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?