NCC units in disturbed areas of J&K, NE
New Delhi: Defence Ministry has approved
opening of NCC units in disturbed areas of Jammu and Kashmir
and Northeast as well as Naxal-affected districts of Orissa,
West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand to prevent youths from
straying into anti-national activities.
"The Phase-I of the plan has begun and we have already
raised some units in these areas. More such units will be
opened this year," Director General of NCC Lieutenant General
P S Bhalla said here on Thursday.
"We are raising 60 new units and 60 percent of these units
will be allocated to the rural areas. In the rural areas,
around 50-60 per cent of units will go into Jammu & Kashmir,
Northeast region and the Maoist affected districts."
Bhalla was interacting with reporters on the occasion of
annual NCC Republic Day Parade Camp at the Parade Ground.
A total of 2,000 NCC cadets from 17 directorates spread
across the country are participating in the camp this year.
These include 102 cadets from J&K and 112 cadets from
On plans to open new units to enroll students in disturbed
areas, he said, in phase-I of this programme seven units have
been raised in various places in J&K, North-East and Naxal
affected areas and around 20 more units would be opened this
"So far, one NCC unit has been opened in J&K and Mizoram.
Two units have come up in Orissa and one each in Chhattisgarh
and Jharkhand," the DG said.
"Opening of new units will depend on the support we
get from the states, because the infrastructure and the
funding of any unit is the responsibility of state
governments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read