NCERT, COBSE disagree on curriculum
New Delhi: The NCERT, which prepares the
school curriculum and text books, has opposed an effort by the
Council of School Board of Education (COBSE) to push for a
common curriculum in Science and Mathematics, saying the body
does not have the "right" to do so.
In a letter to CBSE president, NCERT director Prof G
Ravindra has said that COBSE has no "right" to carry out the
exercise for curriculum revision.
He said the NCERT is the appropriate body for such a
task. It has been doing this job for many years, he said in
Earlier four academicians -- Prof A K Sharma, Prof J S
Rajput, both former Directors of NCERT, Prof N K Ambasht,
former Professor in NCERT and Prof A N Maheshwari, former
Chairman of NCTE, had criticised the effort of COBSE which is
a coordinating body among the school boards in the country.
The COBSE in February this year held a meeting of
school boards which approved a core curriculum prepared in
Science and Mathematics. HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has
announced that a similar curriculum will be prepared by COBSE
for the Commerce stream.
COBSE general secretary Prof D V Sharma
Describing the opposition by NCERT as "unnecessary",
COBSE general secretary Prof D V Sharma said, "The school
boards have every right to update their syllabus. The boards
asked COBSE to take up the revision. Then it was carried out.
The opposition of NCERT is unnecessary."
NCERT representative was part of a consultation
programme on the common curriculum, he said.
Sharma said the NCERT curriculum was last prepared in
2005. A lot of things have changed in the last five years in
education which need to be included in the curriculum.
He said the COBSE will continue its preparation of
Commerce curriculum which is expected to be ready by July end,
Sharma said HRD Minister has supported the initiative
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing