NCM to file case against Subramanian Swamy
New Delhi: National Commission for Minorities
(NCM) on Tuesday decided to file a case for "spreading enmity
between communities" against Janata Party president
Subramanian Swamy for his article suggesting revoking voting
rights of Muslims.
The decision was taken at a Commission meeting, headed by
Chairman Wajahat Habibullah, and which was attended by among
others Vice Chairperson HT Sangliana and members HS Hanspal,
Vinod Sharma and Keki N Daruwalla.
"We will proceed with further action in consultation with
our counsel. We will register an FIR, take up the matter with
the authorities concerned -- Election Commission of India and
other organisations concerned, in a couple of days,"
He said Swamy has violated relevant sections of IPC,
Representation of Peoples` Act and IT Act and the Commission
will file case accordingly.
The Harvard-educated economic scholar, Swamy, in an
article in a newspaper said, "We need a collective mindset as
Hindus to stand against the Islamic terrorist....If any Muslim
acknowledges his or her Hindu legacy, then we Hindus can
accept him or her as a part of the Brihad Hindu Samaj (greater
Hindu society) which is Hindustan."
"Others, who refuse to acknowledge this, or those
foreigners who become Indian citizens by registration, can
remain in India but should not have voting rights (which means
they cannot be elected representatives)," the article read.
Noting that the article has "deeply offended" the
Commission, Habibullah said, "The action will be taken soon...
may be in a couple of days. The lawyer will advise us as to
what to do."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand