NCP conveyed what it had to in Cabinet meet: Sharad Pawar
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Reacting to the Union Cabinet`s decision to withdraw the bill and the ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers and to negate the Supreme Court order, NCP chief Sharad Pawar said on Wednesday that it was a decision of the Cabinet.
Talking to the media after the Cabinet meet, Pawar said that the NCP had conveyed what it had to in the meeting.
Reversing its earlier step, Cabinet today decided to withdraw the ordinance as well as bill that sought to give protection to convicted lawmakers in the wake of public outburst against it by Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
The Cabinet took the decision in a meeting of about 20 minutes which was chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The decision capped a day of hectic activities which included Rahul Gandhi meeting the Prime Minister which was followed by a meeting of Congress Core Group headed by party President Sonia Gandhi.
"The Union Cabinet unanimously decided that the Ordinance regarding certain aspects of the Representation of the People Act as well as the Bill (pending in Parliament) should be withdrawn," Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari told reporters.
The Cabinet had approved on September 24 the Ordinance which sought to negate the Supreme Court order of July 10 which ruled that any lawmaker would stand immediately disqualified if convicted by a court.
The overturning of the decision came in the wake of Rahul Gandhi`s trashing of the Ordinance as "nonsense". He had said it should be "torn" and "thrown out".
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre