NCP criticises BJP, but says Shinde`s remarks unwarranted
Mumbai: While criticising BJP over its nationwide protest against Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, UPA partner NCP on Thursday said that Shinde`s remarks on saffron terrorism were "unwarranted".
NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said here that BJP used terrorism plank to further its political interests. "The party has no moral right to organise such a protest. They want to ensure that religious sentiments are hurt, which can help their petty politics," Malik alleged.
At the same time, he said, NCP was of the view that Shinde`s remarks were "unwarranted". "An individual, or the organisation he is associated with, is responsible for the terrorism and not the religion or caste he belongs to," Malik said. Instead of making statements, Shinde should take action against those involved in terrorist acts, he said.
Maharashtra government had already sought a ban on (Hindu right-wing) organisations like Abhinav Bharat and Sanatan Sanstha, Malik noted.
Malik also lashed out at Shiv Sena for distributing kitchen knives and chili powder to women for self-defence, saying that arming did not mean empowerment.
"What is the motive?... Giving women a weapon does not mean empowering them. Shiv Sena should first change its attitude to women. The late Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray used to say that women should look only after the kitchen and children," Malik quipped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video