NCP dismayed over rail budget, says Mumbai `neglected`
New Delhi: NCP on Tuesday expressed grave disappointment over the railway budget with its chief Sharad Pawar telling a meeting of the UPA coordination committee that Mumbai has been neglected, which is "not acceptable".
The three-hour meeting also saw another ally DMK criticising the government for not taking a tough stand against Sri Lanka on the issue of ethnic Tamils, sources said.
Hours after the railway budget was presented in the Lok Sabha, Pawar said the government has "totally neglected" the problems faced by 80 lakh commuters in Mumbai, the sources said.
NCP told the meeting convened by Prime Minister Manmohna Singh and attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi among others that the "neglect is not acceptable". Gandhi is also the UPA Chairperson.
DMK`s TR Balu expressed unhappines over the government not taking a tough stand on the Sri Lankan Tamil issue.
The meeting also saw another UPA partner RLD raising the issue of division of Uttar Pradesh, prompting Pawar to pitch for a separate Telangana.
The alliance leaders told the UPA leadership that the alliance had made certain commitment on the Telangana issue in the President`s address soon after it came to power in 2004 and that needed to be fulfilled.
Ajit Singh, a strong votary of carving out Harit Pradesh from Western part of Uttar Pradesh, said Uttar Pradesh has become an "unmanageable" state.
Sources said the UPA leadership assured the leaders of having further consultations on various issues.
This was the first meeting of the UPA coordination committee this year and was held after the start of the three-month budget session of Parliament commenced.
DMK had already said that it would raise the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils and farmers suicides in Tamil Nadu at the UPA Coordination Committee meeting.
The meeting was the first formal interaction between Congress and its allies after the AgustaWestland helicopter scam broke out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared