NCP dismayed over rail budget, says Mumbai `neglected`
New Delhi: NCP on Tuesday expressed grave disappointment over the railway budget with its chief Sharad Pawar telling a meeting of the UPA coordination committee that Mumbai has been neglected, which is "not acceptable".
The three-hour meeting also saw another ally DMK criticising the government for not taking a tough stand against Sri Lanka on the issue of ethnic Tamils, sources said.
Hours after the railway budget was presented in the Lok Sabha, Pawar said the government has "totally neglected" the problems faced by 80 lakh commuters in Mumbai, the sources said.
NCP told the meeting convened by Prime Minister Manmohna Singh and attended by Congress President Sonia Gandhi among others that the "neglect is not acceptable". Gandhi is also the UPA Chairperson.
DMK`s TR Balu expressed unhappines over the government not taking a tough stand on the Sri Lankan Tamil issue.
The meeting also saw another UPA partner RLD raising the issue of division of Uttar Pradesh, prompting Pawar to pitch for a separate Telangana.
The alliance leaders told the UPA leadership that the alliance had made certain commitment on the Telangana issue in the President`s address soon after it came to power in 2004 and that needed to be fulfilled.
Ajit Singh, a strong votary of carving out Harit Pradesh from Western part of Uttar Pradesh, said Uttar Pradesh has become an "unmanageable" state.
Sources said the UPA leadership assured the leaders of having further consultations on various issues.
This was the first meeting of the UPA coordination committee this year and was held after the start of the three-month budget session of Parliament commenced.
DMK had already said that it would raise the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils and farmers suicides in Tamil Nadu at the UPA Coordination Committee meeting.
The meeting was the first formal interaction between Congress and its allies after the AgustaWestland helicopter scam broke out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends