NCP for a broader UPA coalition in 2014 polls
Nagpur: The NCP would like a broader UPA coalition with parties like the AIADMK and BJD at the time of next general elections, it said Monday.
"The single-party domination has virtually come to an end and coalition compulsions will dominate future politics. Therefore, if the Congress-led UPA broadens its network of partners by including Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalitha`s AIADMK and Odisha Chief Minister Biju Patnaik`s BJD, it will become a larger secular front," NCP`s chief national spokesperson D P Tripathi said while talking to reporters here.
Asked about SP president Mulayam Singh`s offer to NCP to join the `third front`, Tripathi said NCP wanted other parties to come together (under UPA`s umbrella).
To a question on how DMK and AIADMK can be together in the UPA, Tripathi pointed out that SP and BSP -- rivals in regional politics -- were already supporting the ruling coalition.
Coalitions were working successfully in 46 countries in the world including 37 in Europe, he said adding that though it had no presence in Karnataka, the NCP might field a few candidates in the coming Assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- 2016 Rio Olympics: Sushil Kumar vs Narsingh Yadav – No final decision yet, Delhi HC defers hearing to May 30
- Beacon from Egypt crash detected, search narrows
- Leisure time! Akshay Kumar lazes around in sunshine before the grand release of 'Housefull 3'! – See pic
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Sachin Tendulkar's record remains unbroken; Alastair Cook misses out again
- Lanka's missing persons office lacked consultations: HRW