NCP hails Nitish Kumar for severing ties with BJP
Patna: Lauding Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for his party JD(U) parting ways with NDA, the NCP on Sunday said that the former has not betrayed or insulted the mandate of the people in any way.
"The Chief Minister has rightly led his party in splitting with the NDA.... The decision should be hailed by all secular forces," Union Minister of State for Agriculture and the NCP national secretary Tariq Anwar told reporters.
Hailing the JD(U)`s decision, he said that Kumar should be lauded for his party`s split with the NDA, saying that the consolidation of the "communal" forces was not at all good in the national interests.
At the same time, the chief minister should not have joined hands with the alliance and having done so, he should have walked out of it much earlier, the Union minister said.
"Having taken the belated decision to sever ties with the BJP-led NDA, Kumar must be repenting his association with the BJP," he said.
On the BJP`s demand that Kumar should have resigned as the NDA chief minister on which he was elected three years ago, he said that there was no merit in such a demand as the BJP too had benefitted from Kumar`s leadership under which it had contested the last assembly polls.
In reply to another question on the BJP playing the
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s social background of belonging to a extremely backward caste for electoral dividend, the NCP leader said that the plank will not succeed electorally as the BJP has never catered to aspirations of the backward castes nor Modi`s personal image evoke sympathy or support among this segment of population.
"Modi is downright arrogant and communal leader, who simply does not have in him to take along all sections of the society," Anwar said and recalled that the Gujarat Chief Minister did not put up a single Muslim candidate in the assembly polls last year.
On the NCP`s role in the changed political atmosphere following much publicised divorce between the erstwhile NDA partners in Bihar, he said that his party will seek to work together with other secular parties to keep communal forces at bay.
He hoped for secular parties to come together and work out an arrangement to contest the next general elections in Bihar and said his own party will take decision at an appropriate time keeping all alternatives open.
With the next general elections less than a year away, the NCP leader rejected possibility of a third front coming into shape and and said that as far as his party was concerned, it will remain with the UPA in future too.
On the natural disaster in Uttarakhand, Anwar demanded that it be declared a national disaster for expeditious rescue and relief works for the affected people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015