NCP wants UPA rethink on diesel hike, LPG cap
New Delhi: In what could be a cause of worry for Congress, the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) will on Friday hold a meet to discuss the key economic measures introduced by the UPA government to rein in its fiscal deficit.
During today’s meet, the NCP leaders will also discuss the diesel price hike and a cap on the maximum number of subsidised LPG cylinders a family can buy in a year.
A top NCP leader had yesterday said that the Conngress leadership did not consult his party before taking the decision on diesel hike and LPG subsidy cap, and sought a rethink on them.
However, the party also said that it did not want to destabilise the UPA government at the Centre.
The statement was made at a NCP press conference in Mumbai.
"What others are saying now, Pawar had pointed out earlier - that there is no coordination in the UPA. We were not consulted before taking both these decisions. We want the Centre to do a rethink on them," NCP spokesperson Nawab Malik said.
The NCP also demanded that economic criteria be used to offer LPG gas cylinder subsidy, and the rich be excluded from it. The party wants the number of subsidised cylinders to be increased from six to 12 for a nuclear family, and 18 for a joint one. Similarly, it said that diesel cars in the luxury segment should be taxed heavily to offset the diesel subsidy instead of burdening the poor and middle classes.
The party is also expected to discuss the allegations of corruption against party ministers like Chhagan Bhujbal, who heads the Public Works Department Ministry (PWD) and is accused of irregularities in the awarding of contracts for the Maharashtra Sadan construction in New Delhi.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31