NCP will be part of Maharashtra govt: Patel
Mumbai: Seeking to quash rumours about his party not being a part of the new Maharashtra government, Nationalist Congress Party’s Praful Patel said on Tuesday that Congress and NCP will shortly form a united government.
“Talks between Congress and NCP are on at the highest level. We got the people’s mandate to form a government together and NCP will cooperate with Congress in this regard,” he said, adding that his party will be a part of the government.
Patel also said the views given by Chhagan Bhujbal were not of the party and there was no problem with the coalition partners. “Our parties have given a good government to Maharashtra for a decade and we intend to continue with that arrangement,” he said.
He informed the reporters that discussions were on for forming government on 1999 formula where Congress had its CM and NCP had its Deputy CM.
The Deputy Chief Minister-designate Bhujbal said the NCP was ready to lend outside support to the Congress for government formation.
Speaking to reporters after meeting Governor SC Jamir at Raj Bhavan here, Bhujbal said, “We have told Governor Jamir saab that we are ready with the letter of support.”
“Whenever these (portfolio allocation) things are sorted out we will join the government,” he added.
Bhujbal however accused the Congress of resorting to tactics delaying the government formation in the state. It has been 13 days since the results of the Maharashtra Assembly Elections were announced.
Earlier, caretaker Chief Minister Ashok Chavan too met the Governor at Raj Bhavan to discuss issues related to formation of the new government.
The Governor had called Chavan and Bhujbal for separate meetings on the issue.
The two ruling parties -- Congress with 82 seats and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) with 62 seats in the 288-member Assembly -- are locked in a bitter squabble over the sharing of portfolios in the new government.
Congress sources said the party leadership is firm that it should get the Home department from NCP while the Sharad Pawar-led party is unwilling to part with the key ministry.
Apart from Home, the Congress wants Power, Finance or Rural Development.
Earlier, the Congress wanted the NCP to give all the four key portfolios but later decided that it should get at least two.
Congress is also eyeing the Assembly Speaker`s post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head