NCPCR to seek report from states on plight of migrant children
New Delhi: NGOs in Tamil Nadu have claimed that children of migrant workers from Odisha and Andhra Pradesh are being deprived of basic facilities, prompting the NCPCR to seek action taken report from the corresponding state governments.
Activists had complained to National Commission for Protection of Child Rights last December that children of migrant workers had been deprived of nutrition, health and educational facilities.
They had also flagged the issue of children of migrant workers from within Tamil Nadu working in Chennai and adjoining areas lacking access to basic facilities, NCPCR sources said.
A team of NCPCR, led by member Nina Nayak, is in Odisha to review the role of nodal officers appointed to coordinate with each other for the well-being of such children.
The NCPCR members will also urge the Odisha government to coordinate with Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu so that the interests of such children are protected.
The commission took these steps after receiving complaints from federations of unorganised workers of Chennai, who conducted a survey which, according to them, revealed the plight of children of migrant labourers.
The commission had held consultations in this regard on January 28 with labour, health, social, nutrition and other departments concerned, during which it was concluded that this was an inter-state issue and better coordination was the need of the hour.
The NCPCR team will also visit Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu to discuss the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!