NCPCR to seek report from states on plight of migrant children
New Delhi: NGOs in Tamil Nadu have claimed that children of migrant workers from Odisha and Andhra Pradesh are being deprived of basic facilities, prompting the NCPCR to seek action taken report from the corresponding state governments.
Activists had complained to National Commission for Protection of Child Rights last December that children of migrant workers had been deprived of nutrition, health and educational facilities.
They had also flagged the issue of children of migrant workers from within Tamil Nadu working in Chennai and adjoining areas lacking access to basic facilities, NCPCR sources said.
A team of NCPCR, led by member Nina Nayak, is in Odisha to review the role of nodal officers appointed to coordinate with each other for the well-being of such children.
The NCPCR members will also urge the Odisha government to coordinate with Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu so that the interests of such children are protected.
The commission took these steps after receiving complaints from federations of unorganised workers of Chennai, who conducted a survey which, according to them, revealed the plight of children of migrant labourers.
The commission had held consultations in this regard on January 28 with labour, health, social, nutrition and other departments concerned, during which it was concluded that this was an inter-state issue and better coordination was the need of the hour.
The NCPCR team will also visit Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu to discuss the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check