NCRB to compile data on Sec 377, sexual harassment
New Delhi: The National Crime Records Bureau, the country`s central repository for tabulating data related to criminal incidents, will soon begin collating data related to offences recorded under Section 377 (unnatural sex) of IPC as it prepares a new format to be sent to states.
The NCRB, which was set up in 1986, will undertake the activity for the first time in its history and the move has been cleared by the Union Home Ministry, which is the controlling authority of the organisation.
The new decision comes in the backdrop of the recent verdict of the Supreme Court which criminalised gay sex.
"The NCRB will begin tabulating data, of offences registered under section 377 by state police departments, from the next year and it will compiled in the annual report prepared by the department every year.
"The required tabulating sheets to provide data to NCRB by states in this regard will soon be shared with state governments," sources privy to the development said.
The decision to include a number of criminal offences, not under the recording purview of the NCRB till now, was being deliberated by the Home Ministry and NCRB for sometime and including offences under section 377 in the NCRB record-sheet was taken few months back, the sources said.
The other crimes that will henceforth be tabulated separately include gang rape, murder of victim after rape and detailed sub-divisions under the new law on sexual harassment, they said.
The Supreme Court had last week set aside the landmark High Court judgement decriminalising gay sex and threw the ball in Parliament?s court for amending law.
The High Court decision four years ago to decriminalise gay sex emboldened the still largely closeted homosexual community which has since campaigned publicly against widespread discrimination and ignorance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai