NCRB to compile data on Sec 377, sexual harassment
New Delhi: The National Crime Records Bureau, the country`s central repository for tabulating data related to criminal incidents, will soon begin collating data related to offences recorded under Section 377 (unnatural sex) of IPC as it prepares a new format to be sent to states.
The NCRB, which was set up in 1986, will undertake the activity for the first time in its history and the move has been cleared by the Union Home Ministry, which is the controlling authority of the organisation.
The new decision comes in the backdrop of the recent verdict of the Supreme Court which criminalised gay sex.
"The NCRB will begin tabulating data, of offences registered under section 377 by state police departments, from the next year and it will compiled in the annual report prepared by the department every year.
"The required tabulating sheets to provide data to NCRB by states in this regard will soon be shared with state governments," sources privy to the development said.
The decision to include a number of criminal offences, not under the recording purview of the NCRB till now, was being deliberated by the Home Ministry and NCRB for sometime and including offences under section 377 in the NCRB record-sheet was taken few months back, the sources said.
The other crimes that will henceforth be tabulated separately include gang rape, murder of victim after rape and detailed sub-divisions under the new law on sexual harassment, they said.
The Supreme Court had last week set aside the landmark High Court judgement decriminalising gay sex and threw the ball in Parliament?s court for amending law.
The High Court decision four years ago to decriminalise gay sex emboldened the still largely closeted homosexual community which has since campaigned publicly against widespread discrimination and ignorance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone