NCTC doesn’t trample upon powers of states: Gehlot
New Delhi: Supporting the creation of NCTC, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Saturday said the proposed body does not "trample" upon the powers of the states.
The Rajasthan Chief Minister made a few suggestions including that there should be two-way communication between the NCTC and the States and it should share information with them to make it more effective.
"I fail to understand how any of NCTC`s functions would trample upon the already existing powers of the states... creation of the NCTC is the need of the hour," Gehlot said in his speech at the meeting of Chief Ministers on NCTC.
The creation of the proposed anti-terror body is being supported by Congress-ruled states whereas it is facing resistance from West Bengal, where its ally Trinamool Congress is in power, and the BJP states.
Noting that creation of NCTC was the "crying need" of the hour, the Rajasthan Chief Minister said terrorists were operating internationally and had the capability to strike in two to three states simultaneously where the local police will have limitations in collecting intelligence.
"They are not able to collect data at the national level nor do they have enough human resources that they can be sent to far off places to collect all relevant data.
"The state governments are not in a position to conduct an interstate operation despite their resolve. Only a national level agency like the NCTC, with adequate resources, technology and reach extending to the entire nation can conduct such operations," Gehlot said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid