NCTC doesn’t trample upon powers of states: Gehlot
New Delhi: Supporting the creation of NCTC, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot on Saturday said the proposed body does not "trample" upon the powers of the states.
The Rajasthan Chief Minister made a few suggestions including that there should be two-way communication between the NCTC and the States and it should share information with them to make it more effective.
"I fail to understand how any of NCTC`s functions would trample upon the already existing powers of the states... creation of the NCTC is the need of the hour," Gehlot said in his speech at the meeting of Chief Ministers on NCTC.
The creation of the proposed anti-terror body is being supported by Congress-ruled states whereas it is facing resistance from West Bengal, where its ally Trinamool Congress is in power, and the BJP states.
Noting that creation of NCTC was the "crying need" of the hour, the Rajasthan Chief Minister said terrorists were operating internationally and had the capability to strike in two to three states simultaneously where the local police will have limitations in collecting intelligence.
"They are not able to collect data at the national level nor do they have enough human resources that they can be sent to far off places to collect all relevant data.
"The state governments are not in a position to conduct an interstate operation despite their resolve. Only a national level agency like the NCTC, with adequate resources, technology and reach extending to the entire nation can conduct such operations," Gehlot said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you