NCTC: Events won’t wait for a decision, says NSA
New Delhi: Warning that instruments of
internal security were in disrepair, National Security Adviser
Shivshankar Menon today made a strong case for setting up of
the NCTC bluntly telling its opponents that "events will not
wait upon us for a decision".
Delivering the P C Lal Memorial Lecture, Menon underlined
the principle of prevention and pre-emption while dealing with
new terror threats and said reacting after an event did not
seem to be a "satisfactory response".
The new threats were "much more potent" for the country`s
colonial police structures to cope up with, he said citing the
firepower used by the terrorists during the attack in Mumbai
in November 2008.
He said the government had made attempts to modernise
laws and police structures with considerable progress being
made to counter terrorism by setting up the National
Investigation Agency and by amending the Unlawful Activities
"But when it comes to giving practical effect to the
amendment to the UAPA to be able to counter terrorism, we
still end up in a huge debate on the NCTC," Menon said.
Stressing on the need to act before, rather than after,
the event, he said there was a need to evolve doctrines and
capabilities and strategies to prevent "unacceptable damage".
"This would require India to create capabilities that
would deter threats and would cause our enemies to desist," he
Menon pointed out that the UAPA amendments were passed
unanimously by Parliament after the Mumbai attacks and they
recognise the need to counter terrorism to prevent the
commission of terrorist acts before they occur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal