NCTC: Govt wins, Oppn amendment defeated
New Delhi: The government won a ‘battle’ in Parliament on the issue of NCTC on Monday, when the amendments moved by the opposition BJP as well as the Left against the reference to the anti-terror body in the President’s address were defeated.
The BJP-moved amendment was defeated 141-226, while the amendment moved by the Left could only garner 141 in its favour while 247 members voted against it.
Notably, key UPA ally Trinamool Congress – which has been opposed to the setting up of the National Counter Terrorism Centre – abstained from voting.
Earlier, responding to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh endorsed the setting up of the NCTC.
PM Singh said “dealing with terrorism and dealing with it effectively and Naxal extremism are two big challenges” before the Indian democracy.
The setting up of NCTC is an important step in that direction, he added.
The TMC had earlier hinted that it would not seek to embarrass the government on the floor of the House on the NCTC issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read