NCTC: Govt wins, Oppn amendment defeated
New Delhi: The government won a ‘battle’ in Parliament on the issue of NCTC on Monday, when the amendments moved by the opposition BJP as well as the Left against the reference to the anti-terror body in the President’s address were defeated.
The BJP-moved amendment was defeated 141-226, while the amendment moved by the Left could only garner 141 in its favour while 247 members voted against it.
Notably, key UPA ally Trinamool Congress – which has been opposed to the setting up of the National Counter Terrorism Centre – abstained from voting.
Earlier, responding to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh endorsed the setting up of the NCTC.
PM Singh said “dealing with terrorism and dealing with it effectively and Naxal extremism are two big challenges” before the Indian democracy.
The setting up of NCTC is an important step in that direction, he added.
The TMC had earlier hinted that it would not seek to embarrass the government on the floor of the House on the NCTC issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy