NCTC important to tackle terrorism: PM
New Delhi: Responding to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday endorsed the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
PM Singh said “dealing with terrorism and dealing with it effectively and Naxal extremism are two big challenges” before the Indian democracy.
The setting up of NCTC is an important step in that direction, he added.
While stating the Central government is taking steps to tackle terrorism, Singh said the state governments should be taken into confidence.
Speaking on concerns raised by several chief ministers on setting up of NCTC, stating it goes against the federal structure, the PM said “it will be our sincere effort to resolve differences with states on the manner of NCTC functioning”.
Adequate consultations will take place on NCTC before the Chief Ministers’ meeting on April 16, the PM assured.
The PM stressed on the need to have a consensus on the issue as “difficult decisions become more difficult as we are running a coalition government”.
Noting several Indian states are infested with Naxal problem, the PM assured the government is committed to provide fully secure living condition to all citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers