NCTC important to tackle terrorism: PM
New Delhi: Responding to the debate on the Motion of Thanks to the President’s address, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Monday endorsed the proposed National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
PM Singh said “dealing with terrorism and dealing with it effectively and Naxal extremism are two big challenges” before the Indian democracy.
The setting up of NCTC is an important step in that direction, he added.
While stating the Central government is taking steps to tackle terrorism, Singh said the state governments should be taken into confidence.
Speaking on concerns raised by several chief ministers on setting up of NCTC, stating it goes against the federal structure, the PM said “it will be our sincere effort to resolve differences with states on the manner of NCTC functioning”.
Adequate consultations will take place on NCTC before the Chief Ministers’ meeting on April 16, the PM assured.
The PM stressed on the need to have a consensus on the issue as “difficult decisions become more difficult as we are running a coalition government”.
Noting several Indian states are infested with Naxal problem, the PM assured the government is committed to provide fully secure living condition to all citizens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter