NCTC only after discussions with CMs: Shinde
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Monday made it clear that the controversial NCTC would be set up only after thorough discussions with Chief Ministers who are opposing it.
"Yes, I am going into details. I would like to discuss with the states, with the Chief Ministers. This is a good move but we have to discuss with the Chief Ministers," he said at a press conference here.
Facing strong opposition from Chief Ministers like Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal), Naveen Patnaik (Odisha) and J Jayalalithaa (Tamil Nadu), the Home Ministry has revised the plan for NCTC, a pet project of former Home Minister P Chidambaram.
According to the new plan, NCTC will be kept out of the ambit of the Intelligence Bureau and will be an independent entity directly reporting to the Home Ministry.
Besides, the anti-terror body will conduct operations on its own only if there is an urgency or in rare cases.
An earlier meeting of Chief Ministers had failed to evolve a consensus on NCTC due to which it was pushed to the back-burner.
According to the earlier proposal, the Multi-Agency Centre and the operations wing of the Intelligence Bureau were earmarked for NCTC and the Home Ministry had passed an ordinance making the new anti-terror body a nodal organisation under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Guess who? Angered by film failure, this actor breaks hotel furniture
- Determined Sonakshi Sinha's first 'Akira' poster looks intriguing! – Pic inside
- Turkey allows more patrol flights on Syria border by NATO allies: Official
- Video: How Wales's players celebrated rivals England's exit from the Euro 2016. Crazy!
- Anna Hazare unveils poster of his biopic