NCTC row: BJP demands Inter-State Council meet
New Delhi: Alleging that the NCTC is not on
the lines promised by the UPA government in the wake of 26/11,
the BJP on Saturday demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State
Council be called to discuss the matter instead of forming it
through an executive order.
The opposition party also asserted that since law and
order is a state subject, the government should keep the
states in the loop in the functioning of NCTC.
Not doing so- as envisaged in the proposed NCTC- is a
breach of the federal structure, it alleged.
"In November 2009, Home Minister P Chidambaram had
said NCTC would be an over-arching body bringing better
coordination, synergy and dynamism among the various agencies
such as RAW, IB, NIA and NSG. Presently, as things stand the
NCTC is reduced to be yet another agency under IB," BJP
spokesperson Jagat Prakash Nadda said.
Seven Chief Ministers, including West Bengal`s Mamta
Banerjee and her Tamil Nadu counterpart J Jayalalithaa, have
opposed NCTC on the grounds that it is against federalism.
"In setting up NCTC without consultation, usurping
what is necessarily in the states` domain, the UPA has clearly
attacked the basic federal structure of our Constitution. No
wonder the states are standing up against it," Nadda said.
The BJP demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State Council
be called to discuss this matter immediately.
The opposition accused the UPA of playing votebank
politics by arrogating powers to itself without any concern
for the states.
"On the one hand, they are not facilitating state
governments in their fight against terrorism. Gujarat
government`s GUJCOC (Bill for prevention of Organised Crime)
is for years awaiting central clearance while Maharashtra has
a comparable law now for years," Nadda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what