NCTC row: BJP demands Inter-State Council meet
New Delhi: Alleging that the NCTC is not on
the lines promised by the UPA government in the wake of 26/11,
the BJP on Saturday demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State
Council be called to discuss the matter instead of forming it
through an executive order.
The opposition party also asserted that since law and
order is a state subject, the government should keep the
states in the loop in the functioning of NCTC.
Not doing so- as envisaged in the proposed NCTC- is a
breach of the federal structure, it alleged.
"In November 2009, Home Minister P Chidambaram had
said NCTC would be an over-arching body bringing better
coordination, synergy and dynamism among the various agencies
such as RAW, IB, NIA and NSG. Presently, as things stand the
NCTC is reduced to be yet another agency under IB," BJP
spokesperson Jagat Prakash Nadda said.
Seven Chief Ministers, including West Bengal`s Mamta
Banerjee and her Tamil Nadu counterpart J Jayalalithaa, have
opposed NCTC on the grounds that it is against federalism.
"In setting up NCTC without consultation, usurping
what is necessarily in the states` domain, the UPA has clearly
attacked the basic federal structure of our Constitution. No
wonder the states are standing up against it," Nadda said.
The BJP demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State Council
be called to discuss this matter immediately.
The opposition accused the UPA of playing votebank
politics by arrogating powers to itself without any concern
for the states.
"On the one hand, they are not facilitating state
governments in their fight against terrorism. Gujarat
government`s GUJCOC (Bill for prevention of Organised Crime)
is for years awaiting central clearance while Maharashtra has
a comparable law now for years," Nadda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad