NCTC row: BJP demands Inter-State Council meet
New Delhi: Alleging that the NCTC is not on
the lines promised by the UPA government in the wake of 26/11,
the BJP on Saturday demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State
Council be called to discuss the matter instead of forming it
through an executive order.
The opposition party also asserted that since law and
order is a state subject, the government should keep the
states in the loop in the functioning of NCTC.
Not doing so- as envisaged in the proposed NCTC- is a
breach of the federal structure, it alleged.
"In November 2009, Home Minister P Chidambaram had
said NCTC would be an over-arching body bringing better
coordination, synergy and dynamism among the various agencies
such as RAW, IB, NIA and NSG. Presently, as things stand the
NCTC is reduced to be yet another agency under IB," BJP
spokesperson Jagat Prakash Nadda said.
Seven Chief Ministers, including West Bengal`s Mamta
Banerjee and her Tamil Nadu counterpart J Jayalalithaa, have
opposed NCTC on the grounds that it is against federalism.
"In setting up NCTC without consultation, usurping
what is necessarily in the states` domain, the UPA has clearly
attacked the basic federal structure of our Constitution. No
wonder the states are standing up against it," Nadda said.
The BJP demanded that a meeting of the Inter-State Council
be called to discuss this matter immediately.
The opposition accused the UPA of playing votebank
politics by arrogating powers to itself without any concern
for the states.
"On the one hand, they are not facilitating state
governments in their fight against terrorism. Gujarat
government`s GUJCOC (Bill for prevention of Organised Crime)
is for years awaiting central clearance while Maharashtra has
a comparable law now for years," Nadda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter