NCTC to ensure efficient anti-terror ops: Bahuguna
New Delhi: Welcoming the proposed NCTC, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna on Saturday said it would make sharing of intelligence and executing follow-up operations efficient, faster and better co-ordinated.
Speaking at the Chief Ministers` conference on the issue here today, Bahuguna said legally speaking, there seems to be no problem with the provisions of NCTC.
He said the battle against terror so far has been fought on "an ad-hoc basis" and a law to deal with terrorism such as the UAPA is within the legislative competence of Parliament.
"By conceptualising the NCTC, the Central government has sought to raise a counter-terrorism architecture that would collect, evaluate and analyse intelligence and coordinate counter-terrorist operations," he said.
Bahuguna said NCTC`s encrypted data base and communication facilities connected with 500 intelligence agencies, would "undoubtedly make sharing of intelligence and executing follow-up operations efficient, faster and better coordinated".
He said the powers conferred under Section 43A must be read with the duty under section 43B to produce the person or article without unnecessary delay before the nearest police station, together with a written statement giving details of the case.
"The SHO of the Police Station would then take further action in accordance with the provisions of the CrPC. Moreover, the Standard Operating Procedure for the Operations Division of NCTC clearly spells out that in the normal course, the operation shall be carried out by the ATS or other police units of the State concerned," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read