NCTC would help to deal with hostage situation: PC
New Delhi: Faced with frequent incidents of abduction, the Centre today said if the controversial National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) comes into existence, it would help in the long run to deal with hostage situations in a better way.
Home Minister P Chidambaram said he was not sure whether NCTC would come up or not and if it comes up, then the proposed anti-terror body should be allowed to build capacity and lay out its own standard operating procedures (SOPs) and gain experience.
"Yes, I think in the medium to long term, an NCTC would help us deal with such a situation in a better way," he said at a press conference here.
He was responding to a question on whether the NCTC would help the government to deal with hostage situations like the abduction of Sukma District Collector Alex Paul Menon and the two recent hostage situations in Odisha.
Chief Ministers like Odisha`s Naveen Patnaik, Tamil Nadu`s J Jayalalitha, Gujarat`s Narendra Modi, Bihar`s Nitish Kumar and UPA ally and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and others have been opposing the creation of NCTC alleging that the powers to be vested on NCTC would hurt the federal structure of the country and curb states` powers.
The Centre has convened a meeting of Chief Ministers on May 5 to exclusively discuss the issue of NCTC.
The Home Minister said the draft of the two SOPs for operating the NCTC were circulated to the states would allay many apprehensions of the Chief Ministers who have expressed their concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?