NCW advises government to extend time limit for abortion
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Sunday advised the Union Health Ministry to push the time limit for abortions from 20 weeks to 24 weeks of pregnancy.
The ministry had asked them to review the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, 1971, and send their recommendation if any, after which the proposal was sent last month.
Pregnancy of 20-22 weeks is the appropriate period during which the foetal anomalies test can give detailed information through sonography, particularly about heart-related problems.
“We had called doctors, gynaecologists and some social activists for consultation to extend the abortion limit and we had proposed an amendment in the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, 1971. The Commission has asked to push the time limit for abortions from 20 weeks to 24 weeks of pregnancy,” said Mamta Sharma, Chairperson of the NCW.
“Consultation is still going on, and a concrete decision is yet to be taken. We will send our recommendations to the health ministry and WCD (Department of Women and Child Development),” said Mamta Sharma.
In August 2008, a couple, Nikita and Haresh Mehta, had approached the Delhi High Court with a request for aborting Nikita``s foetus, which had a congenital heart defect.
When they approached the court, Nikita was in her 24th week of pregnancy. Due to the act she was not allowed from getting an abortion. But after three weeks, she suffered a miscarriage.
While some experts believe the extension will lead to an increase in female foeticide, the NCW differs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow