NCW asks police to probe indecent women pix on condom covers
New Delhi: NCW has directed Delhi Police to inquire into a complaint of alleged indecent representation of women on condom covers of a company and revert to it within 30 days.
The move was initiated after Inder Sain Dua lodged a complaint with the National Commission for Women against the owner of a health care product firm having factories in Noida and Mathura.
In his complaint to NCW, Dua alleged that the company was using indecent and pornographic pictures of women on condom wrappers and selling them in Delhi and rest of the country.
On receiving the complaint, the Commission summoned the company owner.
His advocate told the Commission that the respondent had changed the earlier pictures used in packing the products.
A member of the Commission then asked the Deputy Commissioner of Police to inquire into the matter and if cognisable offence disclosed, they should register an FIR against the company.
It has asked police to revert in this regard within 30 days.
The Indecent Representation of Women (Prohibition) Act, 1986, prohibits publication, exhibition, advertisement, pamphlet, book, film photograph or representation which contains an indecent representation of women in any form.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development had included some amendments to the act which were approved by the Union Cabinet in October, 2012, and are pending to be passed in Parliament.
Once passed, it will enhance punishment for the first offence with a fine of Rs 50,000 and jail term of three years and for subsequent offence, the fine has been fixed for Rs 1 lakh.
The amended bill will also empower police officer not below the rank of inspector to carry out search and seizure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'