NCW chief seeks Tapal Pal`s expulsion from Parliament over `rape` threat
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) Tuesday demanded that Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal be expelled from Parliament for his "insensitive" remarks which have triggered a row.
The MP, also a popular Bengali actor, was caught on camera purportedly threatening CPI-M workers that he will "let loose boys in (their) homes and they will commit rape".
"He should be expelled (from Parliament). This is a very unfortunate statement. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has been an activist herself and she should show some sensitivity and take action against the MP," NCW chief Mamata Sharma told PTI.
Sharma also sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi`s intervention in this regard.
"Even the Prime Minister should take action in this matter. Such words have never been used by an MP... Pal did not make a statement, he committed a crime," said Sharma.
The various political parties have condemned the remarks by Pal and urged the Lok Sabha Speaker to take suo motu cognisance of the matter.
"Several Trinamool Congress leaders have been making such comments in the last three years as part of a strategy to terrorise opposition parties. The comments he has made are not expected of a parliamentarian. I request the Lok Sabha Speaker to take suo motu cognisance because people look up to Lok Sabha MPs," said CPI(M) MP Mohammed Salim.
The BJP leadership also condemned the statement and asked the West Bengal Chief Minister to look into the matter.
"It is really heart-wrenching to hear such comments from Pal. He has said he was speaking in a fit of rage. But in a fit of rage, MPs should try to restrain themselves from making such comments," BJP MP Babul Supriyo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand