NCW chief terms `sexy` as beautiful, invites wrath
Jaipur: NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma on Saturday said the word "sexy" should not be taken in a negative context
as it means "beautiful and charming", but her argument did not
go down well with the BJP and women`s organisations which
termed her remark as shocking and demoralising for women.
Speaking at a function here, Mamta said that the word
meant `beautiful` and `charming` so it should not be taken in
negative sense because problems start when we treat it as
"Boys pass comments on girls terming them sexy but sexy
means beautiful and charming. We should not see it in negative
sense," she said in the function held by a woman organisation.
Soon after the programme, BJP criticised Sharma and
accused her of promoting eve-teasing by giving such
"It is shameful that a woman who holds a responsible
position at national level has such thoughts for women," Suman
Sharma, BJP`s state Vice President, said.
"Her comments are demoralising for women in the country
and she should be removed from the NCW immediately if Congress
is sensitive towards the feelings of women," she said.
Sharma said that it was very unfortunate that NCW
Chairperson instead of protecting the interest of women was
talking in such a objectionable manner.
When contacted, Mamta Sharma said her comments should be
taken in "positive sense" instead of highlighting as a
"I was positive in my approach so I said that sexy means
beautiful. One should take it in positive sense," the
Women organisations also condemned Sharma`s statement.
"It is shocking that Sharma is commenting on how women
and girls should receive the word `Sexy`. We are outraged and
shocked at by what she has said.
"It is unfortunate," said the women organisations in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says