NCW chief terms `sexy` as beautiful, invites wrath
Jaipur: NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma on Saturday said the word "sexy" should not be taken in a negative context
as it means "beautiful and charming", but her argument did not
go down well with the BJP and women`s organisations which
termed her remark as shocking and demoralising for women.
Speaking at a function here, Mamta said that the word
meant `beautiful` and `charming` so it should not be taken in
negative sense because problems start when we treat it as
"Boys pass comments on girls terming them sexy but sexy
means beautiful and charming. We should not see it in negative
sense," she said in the function held by a woman organisation.
Soon after the programme, BJP criticised Sharma and
accused her of promoting eve-teasing by giving such
"It is shameful that a woman who holds a responsible
position at national level has such thoughts for women," Suman
Sharma, BJP`s state Vice President, said.
"Her comments are demoralising for women in the country
and she should be removed from the NCW immediately if Congress
is sensitive towards the feelings of women," she said.
Sharma said that it was very unfortunate that NCW
Chairperson instead of protecting the interest of women was
talking in such a objectionable manner.
When contacted, Mamta Sharma said her comments should be
taken in "positive sense" instead of highlighting as a
"I was positive in my approach so I said that sexy means
beautiful. One should take it in positive sense," the
Women organisations also condemned Sharma`s statement.
"It is shocking that Sharma is commenting on how women
and girls should receive the word `Sexy`. We are outraged and
shocked at by what she has said.
"It is unfortunate," said the women organisations in a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra