NCW condemns Somnath Bharti statement on Delhi Women`s Commission
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) Saturday condemned Delhi Law Minister Somnath Bharti`s statement that the Delhi Women`s Commission`s move against him was politically motivated.
Condemning the minister`s statement, NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhawalkar said: "It is his political fight, he cannot drag the commission (into this) for political motives."
The member added that it was inappropriate for the Delhi law minister to challenge a constitutionally appointed body.
Bharti, who courted controversy over his action against an alleged sex-and-drugs ring in south Delhi, Saturday said that the DCW`s move against him was "politically motivated".
Meanwhile, DCW chief Barkha Singh Saturday said there was no politics involved in the move against Bharti. "It is a routine probe," she said, adding: "The kind of blame he is putting on the women`s commission shows that he knows he is guilty."
The Delhi law minister had sent a lawyer to represent him before the Delhi Women`s Commission, which had issued summons to him on complaints from five Ugandan women of harassment at the hands of a mob led by the minister. The complaints concerned the midnight raid Jan 15 led by Bharti in connection with complaints of a drug-and-prostitution racket in Khirki Extension of south Delhi.
The minister was summoned Friday. The Delhi Commission of Women refused to allow his lawyer to represent Bharti, saying the commission`s rules did not allow this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail