NCW dubs Narendra Modi`s `50 cr girlfriend` remark
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Thursday condemned and termed as "distasteful" the recent comment of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunanda Puskhar, wife of Union minister Shashi Tharoor.
"I condemn his statement. Putting a price-tag on any woman is extremely disrespectful and cannot be tolerated. It pains me even more that the comment comes from a man who has been elected Chief Minister thrice and is a prime ministerial aspirant," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told a news agency.
In an apparent attack on Pushkar, Modi had said at an election rally in Shimla on Monday "Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ki girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend?. Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend).
Tharoor had later taken on Modi by tweeting, "My wife is worth a lot more than your imaginary 50 crores. She is priceless."
Sharma also condemned BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi reportedly terming Tharoor as a "love guru" while taking a jibe at the newly-appointed minister over his comment against Modi.
"It is extremely wrong to make such statements. It is making joke of our democratic system. I am not in support or against any political party but politicians should refrain from taking potshots at each others` personal lives," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- PM Modi lays foundation for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai, Shiv Sena boycotts event