NCW dubs Narendra Modi`s `50 cr girlfriend` remark
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Thursday condemned and termed as "distasteful" the recent comment of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunanda Puskhar, wife of Union minister Shashi Tharoor.
"I condemn his statement. Putting a price-tag on any woman is extremely disrespectful and cannot be tolerated. It pains me even more that the comment comes from a man who has been elected Chief Minister thrice and is a prime ministerial aspirant," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told a news agency.
In an apparent attack on Pushkar, Modi had said at an election rally in Shimla on Monday "Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ki girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend?. Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend).
Tharoor had later taken on Modi by tweeting, "My wife is worth a lot more than your imaginary 50 crores. She is priceless."
Sharma also condemned BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi reportedly terming Tharoor as a "love guru" while taking a jibe at the newly-appointed minister over his comment against Modi.
"It is extremely wrong to make such statements. It is making joke of our democratic system. I am not in support or against any political party but politicians should refrain from taking potshots at each others` personal lives," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra