NCW dubs Narendra Modi`s `50 cr girlfriend` remark
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Thursday condemned and termed as "distasteful" the recent comment of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunanda Puskhar, wife of Union minister Shashi Tharoor.
"I condemn his statement. Putting a price-tag on any woman is extremely disrespectful and cannot be tolerated. It pains me even more that the comment comes from a man who has been elected Chief Minister thrice and is a prime ministerial aspirant," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told a news agency.
In an apparent attack on Pushkar, Modi had said at an election rally in Shimla on Monday "Wah kya girlfriend hai. Apne kabhi dekha hai 50 crore ki girlfriend?" (What a girlfriend?. Have you ever seen a 50-crore girlfriend).
Tharoor had later taken on Modi by tweeting, "My wife is worth a lot more than your imaginary 50 crores. She is priceless."
Sharma also condemned BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi reportedly terming Tharoor as a "love guru" while taking a jibe at the newly-appointed minister over his comment against Modi.
"It is extremely wrong to make such statements. It is making joke of our democratic system. I am not in support or against any political party but politicians should refrain from taking potshots at each others` personal lives," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU shouts anti-nationalist slogans; nation questions intent
- Ishrat Jahan was LeT terrorist, reveals David Headley
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Siachen braveheart Lance Naik Hanumanthappa passes away
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches three new services for train passengers
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'