NCW for passing women`s quota bill this session
New Delhi: National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamata Sharma Monday said she would soon meet Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi to press for the passage of the women`s reservation bill in the ongoing winter session of parliament.
"I will be meeting and submitting a memorandum to Meira Kumar and Sonia-ji for speeding up the process of passing the women`s reservation bill in the ongoing session," Sharma told journalists during an interaction at the Indian Women`s Press Corps here.
She said the bill was important to ensure equal representation of women in policy making.
The bill for reserving 33 percent of seats for women in parliament and state assemblies was passed by the Rajya Sabha in 2010 but has been pending in the Lok Sabha due to lack of consensus among political parties.
Sharma also called for amending laws to give the women`s panel prosecution powers so it could take action in cases of crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...