NCW for passing women`s quota bill this session
New Delhi: National Commission for Women (NCW) chairperson Mamata Sharma Monday said she would soon meet Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi to press for the passage of the women`s reservation bill in the ongoing winter session of parliament.
"I will be meeting and submitting a memorandum to Meira Kumar and Sonia-ji for speeding up the process of passing the women`s reservation bill in the ongoing session," Sharma told journalists during an interaction at the Indian Women`s Press Corps here.
She said the bill was important to ensure equal representation of women in policy making.
The bill for reserving 33 percent of seats for women in parliament and state assemblies was passed by the Rajya Sabha in 2010 but has been pending in the Lok Sabha due to lack of consensus among political parties.
Sharma also called for amending laws to give the women`s panel prosecution powers so it could take action in cases of crimes against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'