NCW mulls filing suit in Ruchika molestation case
New Delhi: Taking strong exception to the delay in justice in the molestation case of a young girl involving a former Haryana DGP, the National Commission for Women is contemplating filing a suit seeking civil damages for the family of the victim.
It also wants the Haryana Government to file an appeal
against the verdict.
The recent judgement convicting former Haryana DGP S P S
Rathore to six months for molestation has been a matter of
concern, NCW Chairperson Girija Vyas said, adding "it is also
learnt that the charge of abetment to suicide was withdrawn by
"I have taken up the issue of this judgement with the
Chief Minister of Haryana and requested him to explore the
possibility of filing an appeal against this recent
judgement," she told reporters here.
Vyas said the Commission has also shot off a letter to
the Union Home Ministry asking it to expedite the tabling of
the proposed Bill on Sexual Assault, the draft of which is
lying with the Ministry.
Apart from the existing provisions of rape, the Bill
incorporates all forms of sexual assault on women so that
these could be brought under a single legislative framework.
"We have taken up the matter with the Home Minister for
an expeditious decision so that it can be introduced in the
Parliament at the earliest," she added.
The NCW chairperson said the Commission has also formed a
lawyer`s committee to probe as to whether there was any
attempt to scuttle or impede the investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi