NCW recommends special legislation against human trafficking
New Delhi: NCW has recommended drafting of a special legislation against human trafficking which includes the UN definition of the crime, besides setting up of a central nodal authority to curb all such activities.
Taking note of increasing cases of human trafficking in Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal, the National Commission of Women (NCW) has sent a list of recommendations to the ministries of Home Affairs and Labour to prevent such crimes.
It has recommended drafting of a special legislation to combat human trafficking, especially that of women and children, by including its definition as per Article 3 of UN Convention 2000 and protocol with the term "abuse of position of vulnerability", which is missing in Section 370 of the IPC.
The body also recommended extending the jurisdiction clause for any offence or contravention of human trafficking committed outside India.
NCW`s inquiry committee said the special act should also have a provision for police training and information exchange by law enforcement, immigration or other relevant authorities.
The training should focus on methods used in preventing such cases and protecting the rights of the victims along with stepping up of security and control of identity documents.
The committee also suggested setting up of a National Nodal Authority to coordinate all anti-human trafficking activities and said steps need to be taken to ensure that the issues of missing persons are linked up with trafficking.
In its recommendation to Labour ministry, NCW said a national policy for domestic workers needs to formulated which ensures their rights, including maternity benefits, can be exercised comprehensively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar