NCW seeks Prez intervention for 33% quota for women
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women on Thursday sought President Pratibha Patil`s intervention to ensure 33 per cent reservation for women in Parliament and state assemblies.
Led by NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma, a delegation met Patil at Rashtrapati Bhavan and handed over a memorandum in this regard.
They urged President to take action to ensure that there is 33 per cent reservation for Women In Parliament and State assemblies become a reality.
The memorandum said it should be appreciated that the bill would not only revolutionize electoral politics in India but would be a harbinger of social change ending age old gender discrimination in the political system, a statement said.
The delegation also discussed various women related issues with the President besides submitting the memorandum to her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan