NCW seeks Prez intervention for 33% quota for women
New Delhi: The National Commission for Women on Thursday sought President Pratibha Patil`s intervention to ensure 33 per cent reservation for women in Parliament and state assemblies.
Led by NCW Chairperson Mamta Sharma, a delegation met Patil at Rashtrapati Bhavan and handed over a memorandum in this regard.
They urged President to take action to ensure that there is 33 per cent reservation for Women In Parliament and State assemblies become a reality.
The memorandum said it should be appreciated that the bill would not only revolutionize electoral politics in India but would be a harbinger of social change ending age old gender discrimination in the political system, a statement said.
The delegation also discussed various women related issues with the President besides submitting the memorandum to her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report