NCW seeks stringent punishment for rape accused
New Delhi: Expressing concern over rising
rape cases in the city, chairperson of the National Commission
for Women Girija Vyas Monday sought stringent punishment for
the rape accused to prevent recurrence of such crimes.
Vyas also said that she would be soon meeting with
Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta to discuss the steps taken
to ensure safety of women in the city.
"It (rape cases) is a serious issue... It is repeating
again and again. Police should be more serious about it. But I
think that unless the culprits get severe punishment, the
cases will occur again and again," Vyas told reporters here in
the wake of the Mongolpuri gang-rape case yesterday.
The NCW Chairperson said that while it was a relief
that the police managed to arrest all the four accused
involved in yesterday`s rape case, "but I am sorry that in
many other cases all the culprits are yet to be arrested."
Yesterday`s rape of a teenager in Mongolpuri area is
the fourth incident of abduction and rape from the capital in
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said
that the mechanism should be revved up in such a manner that
women feel safe when venturing out.
"At a time when we are talking about women empowerment
and seeking a greater role for them at all levels
including at the panchayat level, it is a must that women be
made to feel secure," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir