NCW seeks stringent punishment for rape accused
New Delhi: Expressing concern over rising
rape cases in the city, chairperson of the National Commission
for Women Girija Vyas Monday sought stringent punishment for
the rape accused to prevent recurrence of such crimes.
Vyas also said that she would be soon meeting with
Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta to discuss the steps taken
to ensure safety of women in the city.
"It (rape cases) is a serious issue... It is repeating
again and again. Police should be more serious about it. But I
think that unless the culprits get severe punishment, the
cases will occur again and again," Vyas told reporters here in
the wake of the Mongolpuri gang-rape case yesterday.
The NCW Chairperson said that while it was a relief
that the police managed to arrest all the four accused
involved in yesterday`s rape case, "but I am sorry that in
many other cases all the culprits are yet to be arrested."
Yesterday`s rape of a teenager in Mongolpuri area is
the fourth incident of abduction and rape from the capital in
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said
that the mechanism should be revved up in such a manner that
women feel safe when venturing out.
"At a time when we are talking about women empowerment
and seeking a greater role for them at all levels
including at the panchayat level, it is a must that women be
made to feel secure," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered